- Institution: Laboratory of Microbiology, Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, Faculty of Sciences of Ghent University
- Acronym: BCCM/LMG
BCCM/LMG Bacteria Collection
9000 – Gent
- Website: https://bccm.belspo.be
Name manager: Dr. Ann Hellemans/ Curator: Ir. Claudine Vereecke
- Various groups of specific interest to agriculture and food production (e.g. lactic acid bacteria, bifidobacteria, acetic acid bacteria, N2-fixing strains and Bacillus).
- Plant-associated and phytopathogenic bacteria (e.g. pseudomonads, xanthomonads, erwiniae, agrobacteria and coryneforms)
- Bacteria of clinical of veterinary relevance (e.g. Arcobacter, Campylobacter, Helicobacter, Aeromonas, flavobacteria, bordetellae, enterococci, streptococci)
- Marine bacteria (a.o. Vibrionaceae)
- Test, control and bioassay strains.
- BCCM/LMG also distributes the complete experimental strain panel of the Burkholderia cepacia complex
- Public deposit / Patent deposits / Safe deposits
- Distribution of bacterial strains
- Identification (via MALDI-TOF MS, partial sequencing, whole genome sequencing)
- Microbial diversity studies
- Bacterial counting
- Whole genome sequencing (delivery of raw reads or assembled genomes)
- Antimicrobial susceptibility testing (AST)
- Phenotypic characterization (only in combination with WGS or AST)
The research of BCCM/LMG is focused on (high throughput) isolation, preservation and characterization of bacteria to study microbial diversity in a wide range of environments.
Quality Management System
ISO 9001:2015 in the scope of “Accesion, control, preservation, storage and supply of biological material and related information in the frame of public deposits, safe deposits and patent deposits. Coördination, project management and representation of the BCCM consortium.